Toughest Job Interview Questions and Answers for Hospitality

SUMIT MANWAL
0

By Sumit Manwal, Founder, Hospitality Vacancy

Disclosure: this post contains one affiliate link, marked #Ad.

I have interviewed hundreds of candidates for hotel roles, and I have sat on the other side of the table too. Interviews have one purpose: to find the best person for the job. Some questions may feel designed to catch you out, but they are really testing how you think, how you handle pressure and what you want from your career.

Preparation is everything. Here are the toughest questions you are likely to face, and how to answer them with confidence.

Planning your next career move in hospitality? Book a 30-minute Hotel Career Guidance Call with me, or browse the latest hotel jobs on Hospitality Vacancy.

The toughest interview questions

1. "Tell me about yourself"

This is your chance to shine, not to tell your life story. Give a two-to-three minute summary of your experience and why you suit this role.

Example: "I started as a front office trainee and moved into a guest relations role, where I now handle VIP arrivals and complaints. I enjoy solving problems for guests, and I would like to grow into front office supervision."

2. "What are your salary expectations?"

Research typical pay for the role and location first. You can ask about the range the employer has in mind. If pressed, give a realistic range rather than a single number.

3. "Why should we hire you?"

The real question is, "What can you do for us?" Link your skills and achievements directly to what the hotel needs.

4. "If you were an animal, what would you be?"

There is no right answer. The interviewer wants to see how you react to the unexpected. Answer calmly and be ready to explain your choice.

5. "Why did you leave your last job?"

Stay positive about previous employers. Focus on growth: "I learned a lot there, and I am now looking for more responsibility."

6. "What are your weaknesses?"

Avoid fake weaknesses such as "I work too hard". Choose a genuine one and show what you are doing about it.

Example: "I used to struggle to prioritise during busy check-out times. I now plan my shift with a simple checklist, and it has made a real difference."

7. "What motivates you?"

Give an answer that shows the value you bring: happy guests, a team that hits its targets, a job done right.

8. "How would your former colleagues describe you?"

This often means the interviewer is thinking about references. Answer honestly and choose referees who know your work well.

Mistakes to avoid

  • Not researching the hotel or brand before the interview.
  • Speaking negatively about past employers.
  • Memorising answers so rigidly that you sound robotic.
  • Forgetting to ask your own questions at the end.

FAQ

How should I dress for a hotel interview?

Formally and neatly. Grooming is part of the job in hospitality, and interviewers notice it.

How can I prepare for an interview in English?

Practise your answers aloud, record yourself, and practise speaking with a friend, mentor or tutor.

What questions should I ask the interviewer?

Ask about training, team culture, growth opportunities and what success looks like in the role.

Your next step

Related reading on this blog


About the Author

Sumit Manwal is the founder of Hospitality Vacancy (since 2017) and has 20+ years of experience in hospitality. He received the "Excellence in Hospitality Sector of Uttarakhand" award, presented by Shri Dhan Singh Rawat ji (January 2023), and the Dainik Jagran inext Uttarakhand Ratan Samman for Excellence in Hospitality & Education, presented by Shri Bhagat Singh Koshyari ji (2023). He helps hotels build reliable teams and professionals grow their careers.

📧 Contact: manwal@hospitalityvacancy.com | 🔗 LinkedIn

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Please do not enter any spam link in the comment box

Post a Comment (0)
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
To Top